Custom Search

Saturday, August 18, 2018

IN SPITE OF ALL ODDS, GOD DOES EXIST!

Dearly Beloved, IN SPITE OF ALL ODDS, GOD DOES EXIST! “But she said to them, ‘Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me. I went out full, and the Lord has brought me home again empty. Why do you call me Naomi, since the Lord has testified against me, and the Almighty has afflicted me?’” (Ruth 1:20-21 NKJV). Ayomide, the 12-year-old eldest daughter of my late younger brother is still intensely mourning the sudden death of her father. Some days ago, as she was weeping uncontrollably, my elder sister who still takes care of the widow and children of the deceased called me to inform me about the situation. I called back and spoke with the mourning girl. She was still devastated about the irreparable loss. As I tried to console her with the word of God, she daringly told me that she no longer believes in God, that to her, God does not exist! I debunked the assertion and assured her that God does exist in spite of what happened. I could understand her situation. She did not expect that she would become fatherless at such tender age. People tend to think that God does not exist or that He is not powerful when they find themselves in some kinds of precarious situations. They tend to say all sorts of things against God for allowing them to pass through unpleasant situations. Nonetheless, whatever happens to anyone, God remains God. He does not change, and He will not change. Naomi was bitter against God as she returned home after the death of her husband and two sons in a foreign land. To her, it was God that caused the misfortune that befell her. She would rather want to be identified with her bitterness because of her supposed God-induced affliction (see Ruth 1). After losing everything he had, including his health, and the self-righteousness of his friends as they tried to console him, Job asked God many questions for allowing his afflictions. Here are some of the questions: “Does it seem good to You that You should oppress, that You should despise the work of Your hands, and smile on the counsel of the wicked?” (Job 10:3 NKJV). “How many are my iniquities and sins? Make me know my transgression and my sin. Why do You hide Your face, and regard me as Your enemy?” (Job 13:23-24 NKJV). “Since times are not hidden from the Almighty, why do those who know Him see not His days?” (Job 24:1 NKJV). Job even dared God to answer him these questions and many other claims of his innocence and the perceived injustice done to him through his ordeals (see Job 31:35). God did answer Job! His many questions in Job 38-41 show that He is indeed sovereign. God does exist in spite of all odds! Our knowledge of who God is and what He has promised will determine our attitude towards Him when we find ourselves in any situation. He never promised a life free of pains or suffering. His promises are that He will be with us WHEN, and not “if”, we pass through these pains and suffering of life. Consider this: “But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel: ‘Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you’” (Isaiah 43:1-2 NKJV. See also Deuteronomy 31:6-8; Psalm 23:4; 66:12; 91:15; Isaiah 41:10, 14; Daniel 3:23-27; Malachi 3:2-3; Matthew 1:23; 2 Corinthians 12:9-10; 2 Timothy 4:17, 22). Are you doubting the existence or the power of God in your life because of some afflictions you are passing through? You do not need to doubt Him! You do not even need to question Him. He is sovereign. He has reasons for allowing what you are passing through. As the stories of Job and Naomi ended well, your story – no matter how bitter it may be – will also end well in Jesus’ name. Amen. In spite of all odds, God does exist and He will glorify Himself in your life. Jesus Christ told Martha (who was bereaved of her brother), “Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” (John 11:40 NKJV). In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Points: 1. Always remember Ayomide, her younger sisters, their mother and the rest of us in your prayers as we pass through this difficult time of losing our beloved one, ARIYO AFOLARANMI (1976-2018), that God will prove His existence and sovereignty in this trying time. 2. Pray that you will experience the presence of God in any situation you may find yourself in life.

No comments: