Custom Search

Saturday, August 20, 2016

WE HAVE AN ADVOCATE...

Dearly Beloved, WE HAVE AN ADVOCATE... “These things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1 NKJV). I have a specific purpose for creating and moderating most of my WhatsApp groups: to solely disseminate inspiring messages. I always frown at any post that is contrary to this and intermittently remind members of my WhatsApp groups (both privately and generally) about the primary purpose of the groups and warn to remove anyone who cannot abide by that purpose. On many occasions, I have removed people that violate that purpose no matter how good their posts are. There was a case sometimes ago that I had to remove one of the respected people in one of my groups because he advertised a religious event that he was planning to coordinate. Another respected person in the group contacted me privately and advocated for the removed person that I should reinstate him back to the group. I told the self-appointed “advocate” the reason why I took the action. He still pleaded that I should give the “offender” another chance. I did so because of his plea. Interestingly, the “offender” did not know about this advocacy. As I reflected on this scenario, my mind went to what Jesus Christ is doing for us presently with our heavenly Father. It is a fact that no one is sinless (see 1 John 1:8-10). So, Jesus Christ, having paid the price for the salvation of our souls on the cross (see 1 Peter 3:18), is now with the heavenly Father acting as an advocate who is pleading for everyone that has accepted Him before the Father (see also Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25). He is worthy to do this task because He is the only righteous One to do so. Human being cannot come to God for the forgiveness of sin with his/her own righteousness, not because of his righteousness “is like filthy rags” as some would erroneously quote Isaiah 64:4, but because he cannot boast in his works (see Ephesians 2:8-10). However, by grace based on the finished work of Jesus Christ, He is advocating for man with the Father. The implication of this is that man must accept the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross before he can be qualified to be among the “WE” that have Jesus Christ has the Advocate with the heavenly Father. “[Jesus Christ] came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God” (John 1:11-13 NKJV). However, this is not a license to habitual sinning because we cannot be in sin and expect that the grace of God should abound in us (see Romans 6:1-2). We have an Advocate.... Is Jesus Christ your Advocate with the heavenly Father? In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). NB If you can abide by the simple rule of my WhatsApp groups, you can contact me with your name on WhatsApp through +2348055159591 and ask me to add you to one of the groups. Thanks.

No comments: