Custom Search

Saturday, August 6, 2016

STEP INTO THE WATER!

Dearly Beloved, STEP INTO THE WATER! “As those who bore the ark came to the Jordan, and the feet of the priests who bore the ark dipped in the edge of the water (for the Jordan overflows all its banks during the whole time of harvest), that the waters which came down from upstream stood still..." (Joshua 3:15-16 NKJV). It was almost a year that I took the step of faith to come to the United Kingdom. I virtually had nothing then to support my postgraduate study and myself in the foreign land. There was no known sponsor anywhere to help me pay the school fees and other living expenses that were in millions of Nigerian naira. I was advised against taking the step. However, I was resolute. I took the step of faith that I termed “stubborn” faith. I came to the “Land of the Queen” (as we used to call the United Kingdom when I was young). Yes, it was tough, but God was, and is still, faithful, and He does not let me down. I am about to complete the study that I initially came to do, and there is a prospect already of proceeding further. If I did not take the step of faith almost a year ago, I would still have been where I was then without this feat of new experiences (and exposures), knowledge, and the opportunity of sharing this testimony. This story of my life reminds me of the story of the people of Israel under the leadership of Joshua when they were at the bank of River Jordan. They were looking to the Promised Land at the other side of the river. The river was a barrier for them to get to the place. However, God directed them through Joshua to break camp and cross the river. The instruction was that the priests should take the Ark of the Covenant and step into the over-flooded water of River Jordan and stay in the water till every Israelite cross over to the other side (see Joshua 3:1-13). That was awkward and risky! Why did God not order Joshua to stretch out his hand over the river and path it as Moses did with the Red Sea (see Exodus 14:21)? Why would the lives of the priests be endangered because the people wanted to cross the river? Why could the people not stay at that side of the river and wait till the water was subsided for them to cross safely to the other side? After all, where they were was also part of the Promised Land. Why could the people not think of other possible means of crossing the river? However, the priests took the steps of faith and stepped into the over-flooded water of River Jordan. As they stepped into the water, the water from the upstream stopped flowing, and the people crossed the river on dry ground (see Joshua 3:14-17)! What is the over-flooded River Jordan in your life? What is that thing that seems as obstacle to your progress in life? Are you ready to confront it with “stubborn” faith and see what God would do? If you are waiting till when the flooded water of your life will subside or when a bridge will be built over it, you may have to wait till eternity. Take the step of faith because “faith is the substance of things hoped for [and] the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1 NKJV). Step into the water! In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Point: Pray that you will be able to take the step of faith and confront your life’s challenges.

No comments: