Custom Search

Saturday, October 4, 2014

WHAT IMPACT WILL YOU MAKE?

Dearly Beloved, WHAT IMPACT WILL YOU MAKE? “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:20-21 NIV). I am always fascinated by the life of Frances Jane van Alstyne née Crosby (March 24, 1820 - February 12, 1915), more commonly known as Fanny Crosby whenever I sing any of her hymns. Here was a woman who was blind for most part of her life (she was blinded by an incompetent doctor at six weeks of age). In spite of this, she wrote over 8,000 hymns. An online source quoted her saying: “It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank Him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me.” Some of Crosby's best-known songs include "To God Be the Glory", "Blessed Assurance", "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Saviour", "Jesus Is Tenderly Calling You Home", "Praise Him, Praise Him", "Rescue the Perishing", “All The Way My Saviour Leads Me”, “Take The World But Give Me Jesus” and many others. Crosby wrote over 1,000 secular poems, and had four books of poetry published, as well as two best-selling autobiographies. Additionally, she co-wrote popular secular songs, as well as political and patriotic songs, and at least five cantatas on biblical and patriotic themes, including “The Flower Queen”, the first secular cantata by an American composer. Crosby was committed to Christian rescue missions, and was known for her public speaking. Undoubtedly, her works have inspired and blessed millions of souls throughout the world. Apostle Paul was “...hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed” (2 Corinthians 4:8-9 NIV). He was in a Roman prison awaiting death sentence when he wrote many of his epistles. In one of such epistles, the Epistle to the Philippians, Paul expressed his desire to exalt Jesus Christ in spite of his predicament. He was even ready to die for the cause of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ (see Philippians 1:20-21). No wonder, he also made a lot of impact in the lives of many people. What are you passing through now? What impact will you make in spite of your situation? What legacy will you leave behind when you are no more? Determine to make a positive impact in your generation. Do not let any situation hinder you. In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Point: Pray that God will help you to make positive impact in your generation in spite of any situation you may be passing through.

No comments: