Custom Search

Saturday, December 9, 2023

OUT OF THE MIRY CLAY…

Dearly Beloved, OUT OF THE MIRY CLAY… “[God] brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth—Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the LORD” (Psalm 40:2-3 NKJV). I used a group photograph taken around forty-five years ago when I was in primary school to celebrate my birthday recently on some social media platforms. As I looked at the picture again, I noticed that I was without school sandals or shoes. I took the picture barefooted! Then I remembered my life in those days. I was not opportune to have school sandals and many other basic things that a primary schoolboy should have. My parents were not rich, but they insisted that all their children must go to school. Thanks to the government of the day that made schooling affordable for as many as those who wanted to attend then. My life did not fare better when I was in secondary school. Over forty years later, I look at myself today, and I have many reasons to thank God for it. I am not a rich man today, but I will be counted among people that are not poor in my immediate society. The old primary schoolboy without sandals is now an erudite scholar lecturing in a private university with scores of international writings. This is apart from ministering daily to thousands of people through the Internet and being an ordained pastor in one of the leading evangelical churches. The Lord has indeed brought me “out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock”. Many are seeing it and are praising God with me. My life story is similar to the story of the writer of Psalm 40. King David likely wrote this psalm because of his background as an unnoticed shepherd boy who later became the king of Israel (see 1 Samuel 16:11; 2 Samuel 5:1-5). This was after many perils instituted against him by King Saul out of jealousy (see 1 Samuel 18:6ff). He became a vagabond in a foreign land. His relatives had to be relocated with him to a seeming safer place (see 1 Samuel 22:1-2). However, he eventually became the king of Israel. God indeed established his steps and put a new song in his mouth. Many saw it and trusted in the Lord. What has been your situation in the past or currently? What “miry clay” are you currently? The Lord can bring you out of the “miry clay”, set your feet upon a rock, and establish your steps. He can turn your story to glory. What you need to do is to trust in Him. If you believe, you will see the glory of God (see John 11:40). In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Point: Bring me out my miry clay and establish my steps, O Lord!

No comments: