Custom Search

Saturday, October 16, 2021

DO NOT BE WEARY IN STRIVING FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS

Dearly Beloved, DO NOT BE WEARY IN STRIVING FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS “Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb” (Psalm 37:1-2 NKJV). Let me start this message with a word of appreciation to God for not allowing the heartless ones to turn me into a one-eyed person. I was about to cross the road in front of my office when one “Okada” (commercial motorcycle) rider almost ran over me because he was riding against the traffic. Another rider followed him. As I was trying to caution the second one of the illegality of what they are doing and the danger such action portends, he on motion gave me a blow directly on my right eye. The hit made me fall down, and passersby had to rush to me to lift me up and sympathize with me. The Okada man did not stop to see the havoc he has caused to my eye. Anyway, I thank God that the damage was not much. As I left the clinic of my office where I went for immediate treatment, I was thinking within me if I have done anything wrong to warrant such ill-treatment. Is it wrong to correct what is wrong in the society? Why would people be so heartless to the point of maltreating others especially when others are trying to correct them? Why would evildoers continue to thrive in the society and the ones that attempt to make things right always suffer for it? Many other questions kept coming to my mind especially about the increasing atrocities of the evildoers in Nigeria in spite of the high religiosity in the country. Prophet Jeremiah suffered greatly in the hands of evildoers in his days. Even kings persecuted him and wanted to kill him for saying the truth (see Jeremiah 11:18-23; 20:1-6; 26:7-24; 36:5; 37:11-21; 38:1-28). In fact, Jeremiah was nicknamed “The Weeping Prophet” because of the ill-treatment he suffered in the course of delivering God’s message to his people and making his society a better place. However, God was with him throughout. The growing popularity of wickedness and ungodliness in the society is making many people that want to uphold righteousness become more unpopular and at times suffer for their righteousness. Should this discourage them from promoting righteousness? NO! It may seem as if wickedness and ungodliness are flourishing now, but be sure that these are for a time. In spite of any suffering or hardship that may come with righteousness, there are promises of blessings and good fortunes for the righteous (see Psalms 1:3; 106:3; 112:4-8; Proverbs 10:16; 11:5-6, 18-19, 30; 12:28; 13:6; 14:34; 21:3; Isaiah 32:17; 33:15-16). Therefore, do not fret because of evildoers, and do not be weary in striving for justice and righteousness. You will get your reward in spite of what the world may say or do against you. In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Point: Pray for the grace to always stand for justice and righteousness in spite of what it might cost you.

No comments: