Custom Search

Saturday, November 9, 2019

DO NOT LOOK DOWN ON THEM!

Dearly Beloved, DO NOT LOOK DOWN ON THEM! “He who tills his land will be satisfied with bread, but he who follows frivolity is devoid of understanding” (Proverbs 12:11 NKJV). I am not happy as I type this message. One of my elder sisters, Lady Evangelist Omolade Olowokere (nee Afolaranmi) (1968-2019) went to be with the Lord about twenty-four hours ago. She died in a hospital after a brief illness. She will be burry tomorrow. As we were planning for her burial today and looked endlessly for a moderate coffin in her vicinity for the burial, I remembered my experience on my way to the northeastern part of Nigeria some weeks ago. There is a town that it seems the booming business in the town is making and selling of coffins. As we went through the town and saw makers and sellers of coffins, we were making jest of them that they do not have other business apart from this. However, I value their entrepreneurship as one of my cousins and I were combing the town where my late sister lived today for a coffin seller or someone that can help us make one. We eventually got one in another town. The lesson I learnt today is that there is goodness and dignity in some businesses and professions that we normally look down on because such businesses and professions like coffin making, taking care of corpses, vulcanizing, and people like auto mechanics, and other professionals that their professions connote evil things. They are part of the necessities of life that one cannot do away with. In fact, they would be appreciated very well the day one needs them. Inasmuch as these professions are legitimate, they should not be looked down on. They are as important as any other legitimate work. The Bible on many occasions admonishes on the dignity of work (see Psalm 104:23; Proverbs 10:4; 12:11, 24; 14:23; Ecclesiastes 3:12-13; 9:10; Romans 12:11; 2 Thessalonians 3:10). These admonitions are not only for works that we consider being good and desirable. Even the other undesirable works, but works of necessity, also have their dignity. You will need them one day. Do not look down on them! In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Points: 1. Pray that you will always appreciate workers of necessities in life. 2. Remember my siblings, other loved ones and me that my late sister left behind in your prayers in these mourning moments. NB: I dedicate this message to my elder sister, late Lady Evangelist Omolade Olowokere (nee Afolaranmi) (1968-2019).

No comments: