Custom Search

Saturday, July 7, 2018

WHO IS MY NEIGHBOUR?

Dearly Beloved, WHO IS MY NEIGHBOUR? “But [the expert in the law], wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, ‘And who is my neighbor?’” (Luke 10:29 NKJV). I am still wondering when our society (especially the Nigerian society) became self-centred, uncaring, and unconcerned to the predicaments of people around them? My car had a mechanical fault on a busy road as I was going to my office some weeks ago. I called my mechanic and sat in the car waiting for his arrival. To my surprise, for over one hour that I was in the car waiting, no one cared or showed any concern. Instead, some were abusing me that I caused obstruction on the road as if I was willingly doing so. Some were even making jest of me! I was not happy. The government may have its shortcomings, but does that mean we should not care for one another as fellow citizens? This incident made me to think of the Parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-37. Who is really my neighbour? That was the question that brought out the parable. An expert in the law had come to Jesus Christ to ask Him what he should do to inherit eternal life. Part of Jesus Christ’s answer was that the expert in the law should love his neighbours. Wanting to justify himself, the expert asked Jesus Christ, “And who is my neighbour?” Jesus Christ thereby went ahead to give the Parable of the Good Samaritan where a Samaritan (who was considered a foreigner) helped a wounded man while a Levite and a priest (the most pious and religious leaders of the day) pretended as if they did not see the wounded man. The expert in the law rightly adjudged the Samaritan as the neighbor of the wounded man because he (the Samaritan) took care of the wounded man. So, Jesus Christ asked him to go and do likewise. After the incident that happened to me, I did think inwardly: what would I do if I were one of those passer-byes? Would I also wait to help or even to merely show concern? What would you do in a similar situation? Would you wait to help? This is undoubtedly situational. However, here are some Bible injunctions that one can ponder on: “Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so” (Proverbs 3:27 NKJV). “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.... And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith” (Galatians 6:2, 9-10 NKJV). “But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased” (Hebrews 13:16 NKJV). Who is that person that you need to help or show concern for today? The person is your neighbour. Anyone that you have the capability to help is your neighbour. Do not hesitate to help him/her! In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Point: Pray that you will be sensitive to the need of other people around you and that you will be able to show concern and/or really help them.

No comments: