Custom Search

Saturday, October 3, 2015

HAS GOD FORSAKEN ME?

Dearly Beloved, HAS GOD FORSAKEN ME? "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?" (Psalm 22:1 NIV). Psalm 22 is one of those psalms sometimes called Passion Psalms. Jesus Christ used the opening cry on the cross and the amazing choice of words of verses 6-8 and 13-18 have made the psalm especially important to Christians. There is within the psalm an extraordinary combination of praise and complaint. The psalmist found himself in a difficult situation that made him think that God had forsaken him (verses 1-2). Because of his situation and the fact that God did not act for him at that very point in time made people to mock him (verses 6-8, 12-18). However, in the midst of this protest of seemingly neglect, he could still praise God for who He is and what He has done, and is still doing (verses 3-5, 22-31). It is noteworthy that there is no reference to sin as the cause of the trouble, no plea of innocence, no claim of righteousness, and no vengeance. The psalmist just cried to God for help (verses 19-21). Jesus Christ also found Himself in similar situation, and He also acted like the psalmist: He cried out to God (see Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34; Luke 23:46). It was evident, however, that God did not forsake Jesus Christ, as He did not forsake the psalmist as well. God allowed the situations to bring out something in the lives of the psalmist and Jesus Christ. We may not know what God brought out in the life of the psalmist through the difficult situation, but we know that the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ brought about our eternal salvation (Romans 5:6, 8; Hebrews 2:14-15; 5:9; 10:5-10). No wonder, the psalmist could praise God even when he did not know the outcome of his predicament. What situation are you passing through? Have you prayed and God has not answered your prayers? Does it seem as if God has forsaken you? Are people around you making jest of you because of your predicament? Well, GOD HAS NOT FORSAKEN YOU! Read this: "But Zion said, `The LORD has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.' `Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I WILL NOT FORGET YOU! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me. Your sons hasten back, and those who laid you waste depart from you. Lift up your eyes and look around; all your sons gather and come to you. As surely as I live,' declares the LORD, `you will wear them all as ornaments; you will put them on, like a bride. `Though you were ruined and made desolate and your land laid waste, now you will be too small for your people, and those who devoured you will be far away. `The children born during your bereavement will yet say in your hearing, "This place is too small for us; give us more space to live in." Then you will say in your heart, "Who bore me these? I was bereaved and barren; I was exiled and rejected. Who brought these up? I was left all alone, but these-- where have they come from?"'" (Isaiah 49:14-21 NIV). In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Point: Lord, when I think I am forsaken by You, reassure me that You have not forsaken me. ________________ Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor) +447438782552 BB PIN:58E5054C

No comments: