Custom Search

Saturday, December 20, 2014

DO NOT WAIT TILL DECEMBER 31

Dearly Beloved, DO NOT WAIT TILL DECEMBER 31 “As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain. For he says, ‘In the time of my favor I heard you, In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.’ I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:1-2 NIV). One of the contacts on one of my BBM lists contacted me recently and wanted me to counsel him on how he could overcome the habit of masturbation. As I probed into his activities and companions, he made some confessions about what he is doing that he thinks contribute to his bad habit. I counselled him to abstain from such actions. His response was that he would start abstaining from them as from December 31 as part of his New Year resolutions. I disagreed and told him straightaway that he does not need to wait till any day to start abstaining from any action that he knows may be contributing to his bad habit if really wants to be free from such habit. He promised to try. He later informed me that there have been changes since the day he started abstaining from such actions. It is common to see people making New Year resolutions on December 31, especially as they are about to enter the New Year. Most of these resolutions include determination to change some bad habits in the New Year. Interestingly, such determinations hardly last through the month of January before the people that make it go back to their bad habits. Certainly, such resolutions have become usual practices that do not come from the depth of the hearts of people that normally make them. As tradition, such people join other people to make the resolutions without real commitment to keeping them. If it were not so, why do people wait for a particular day (especially December 31) before making resolutions to change from a particular bad habit? God has given man the willpower to do what is good or otherwise. In fact, He has given us the grace to do the right thing at the right time. However, are we making good use of this grace? Apostle Paul enjoined the Corinthian Christians not to receive God's grace in vain because NOW is the time of God's favor (see 2 Corinthians 6:1-2). If this is so, why then postponing the time when God is ready to help you? It is good to make good resolutions on December 31. However, do not wait till that day. Resolve today to abstain from bad habits and start doing good. If you sincerely determine today, the Lord will indeed help you. In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor). Prayer Point: Lord, help me to sincerely resolve NOW to abstain from bad habits and consciously start doing good things.

No comments: