Custom Search

Saturday, May 25, 2013

ARE YOU MINDFUL OF DEATH?

Dearly Beloved, ARE YOU MINDFUL OF DEATH? “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?’” (John 11:25-26 NIV). Honestly, I am not afraid of death. My favourite Bible verse has always been Philippians 1:21, “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (NIV). However, as I was reading John 11:25-26 some weeks ago, I was struck with the phrase, “even though he dies…” as if I never heard or read it before. “Even though he dies….” It was as if the phrase meant that I would die that day. I paused reading the Bible and started thinking of death. Death is inevitable. People are dying every minute. I have witnessed and even officiated in the burial services of many people. In fact, I once buried a very young niece-in-law who lived with my family. Death is not strange to me. But, it dawned on me that day that I had not prepared for death. Humanly speaking, no one would want to die. We want to have a long life, and if possible, live forever on earth. Nevertheless, each of us will die one day. No one knows when it will be his/her turn. This turn is not by age or any other factor. So, anyone can die at any time. Are you mindful of this? While being mindful of death, a believer in Jesus Christ does not need to be afraid of death. He will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in Jesus Christ will never die eternally. It means that physical death is not the end of a person. This was what Jesus Christ was asking Martha whether she believed or not. Thank God, Martha answered in the affirmative. Do you also believe this? Are you mindful of death? You do not need to be afraid of this. If you die in Jesus Christ, you will live with Him forever. If you die without Him, you will die eternally. The choice is yours. In His service, Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).

No comments: