Custom Search

Saturday, September 24, 2011

THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT

Dear Beloved,
THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT
"I again saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift and the battle is not to the warriors, and neither is bread to the wise nor wealth to the discerning nor favor to men of ability; for time and chance overtake them all" (Ecclesiastes 9:11, NASU).
My family members have gone to bed. I had not slept. I was watching my favorite football team playing with another team in a continental competition on the telecast. It was certain that my team would win. One, they were playing at home. Two, they had many talented and professional players. However, I went to sleep disappointed. My darling team was defeated convincingly before their teeming supporters.
I was lying on my bed, at the same time reflecting on the match: Why did they lose? Why did they not score a single goal, even when they had the opportunity of a penalty kick? What happened to all their goal scorers? Did they not prepare well for the match? Many unanswered questions came to my mind until the above Bible passage came into view and revealed the mystery of life, "…the race is not to the swift…."
At times we have all what it takes to succeed, but the result is disappointing. Perhaps, it is God's way of showing us an important lesson: every success depends on Him, not on our intelligence. He is the omnipotent and sovereign God. He gives true success to anyone that pleases Him. Your strength, knowledge, experience, wisdom, power, and position are good, but they cannot compete with God's wisdom. Never!
Remember, "No king achieves a victory with a large army. No warrior rescues himself by his own great strength. Horses are not a guarantee for victory. Their great strength cannot help someone escape. The LORD'S eyes are on those who fear him, on those who wait with hope for his mercy" (Psalm 33:16-18 GW).
In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).
NB
This message was first sent out on October 19, 2003.

No comments: