Custom Search

Saturday, August 20, 2011

GOOD, BETTER, BEST

Dear Beloved,
GOOD, BETTER, BEST
“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:12-14 NIV).
One of the songs I liked when I was in the primary school is: “Good, Better, Best/ I shall never rest,/ Until my good is better,/ And my better’s best.” The song was meaningless to me then until I became grown-up. It is what inspires me to strive higher. Yes, what I am doing may be good, but until it becomes better, and the better becomes best, I will not stop.
Paul knew this secret. I am not surprised that he wrote the above passage to the Philippians towards the end of his ministry. Although he became an acclaimed preacher of the gospel because he worked harder than the rest of the apostles (1 Corithians 15:10; 2 Corintians 11:23-30). He improved on his achievements every day. He did not allow his “better” – the past successes – to deter him from getting the best, even when he was in prison.
Why should I be contented with my “good”? Why should I not be satisfied with my achievements? Should one not be contented with what one has? Nevertheless, contentment is different from aspiration. Aspiration learns from the past in order to become the best, but contentment gladly accepts whatever happens as designed by God to achieve His good purpose for us. Therefore you can aspire for greatness, but be contented with what God gives you.
Have you been doing something good? Make it better. If yours is better than others, do not rest on your oars, until your good becomes better, and your better is best!
In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).
NB
This message was first sent out on August 18, 2003.

No comments: