Custom Search

Saturday, April 30, 2011

"I DO NOT KNOW HIM!"

Dear Beloved,

"I DO NOT KNOW HIM!"

"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death" (Philippians 3:10 NIV).

One evening, a drama was acted in my family. My four-year-old son wanted to go to a dark room. His mother gave him a searchlight. However, he was reluctant to go. Then, this conversation ensued between them:
"Mommy, I cannot go there. I am afraid."
"Say, 'Fear, go away in Jesus' name.'"
"Fear, go away in Jesus' name." (Yet, he was still reluctant to enter the room.)
"Ask Jesus to follow you."
"Jesus, follow me"
"Stretch out your hand for Jesus to hold you." (He stretched out his hand.)
"Mommy, I cannot go."
"Is Jesus not with you? Don't you know Jesus again?"
"Mommy, I don't know Him!"

We all laughed about the last words of the boy. Nevertheless, many people are like him. They have been hearing about Jesus Christ for a long time. Probably they have been "worshipping" Him for a long time, but they have not known Jesus Christ. Such people only know Him factually; they have not known Him experientially. They have not had personal encounter with Him. They have not had such a deep relationship with Him that can make them trust Him in difficult moment.

Experiential knowledge of Jesus Christ is both momentous and continuous. It is the saving power that flows from the blood of Jesus Christ. It is His nature, His character, His work, and with the salvation which He has worked out.

It is surprising that the disciples of Jesus Christ spent over three years with Him, yet they did not have this knowledge. No wonder He confronted one of them with this question, "Don't you know me…even after I have been among you such a long time?" (John 14:9, NIV). Paul realized this and prayed thus: "that I may know Him…" (Philippians 3:10, NKJV).

How many years have you been in faith? Do you also know Him? Have you come to His saving knowledge? He is beside you in any dark moment. Invite Him today into your life and your life will never remain the same.

In His service,

Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).


NB
This message was first sent out on Sunday May 16, 2004.

No comments: