Custom Search

Saturday, April 10, 2010

YOUR ENEMIES WILL NOT DIE (A Rejoinder)

Dearly Beloved,
YOUR ENEMIES WILL NOT DIE (A Rejoinder)
"Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles" (Proverbs 24:17 NASU).
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous” (Matthew 5:43-45 NIV).
I rarely write a rejoinder on my previous messages or make the reactions of people to such messages and my responses known to other people. However, let me write a rejoinder on a message I posted recently based on some of the reactions of people to it. The message has to do with not praying against one’s enemies or wishing them bad luck. Here are two of the reactions I received and my responses:
Reaction One: “In spiritual warfare, the prayers are in most cases directed at the spirits behind the enemy. What we do not see are more than those we see. The fact that some churches pray some strange prayers like “fall down and die” does not mean such prayers are targeted at human beings but the wicked spirits behind the activities of the enemy.”
My Response: “It is interesting to note that spirits or demons do not die! Praying for their death is wasting of one’s precious time. Instead of focusing on the enemy or the spirit behind him, it is better to focus on God and what He will do for us, not the enemy or his evil spirit. God knows how He will handle the enemy and the spirit behind him.”
Reaction Two: “The enemy must die. We will not suffer a witch to live.”
My Response: “That shows that you are not Christ-mindedness! You still live in the Old Testament dispensation. That is a reference to the Mosaic Law (see Exodus 22:18 KJV; Leviticus 20:27). Jesus Christ taught in many places that we should pray FOR and bless our enemies (see Matthew 43-48; Luke 6:27-35). He demonstrated it on the cross (see Luke 23:34; 1 Peter 2:23). Stephen followed the example (Acts 7:60). Paul and Peter also taught that we should not curse our enemies (see Romans 12:14-21; 1 Peter 3:9). Where then, if not in the Old Testament, do you have your teaching of cursing enemies?”
It is a fact that there are some sworn enemies that one may know who are actually working against one’s progress. Many things are happening, especially in this part of the world. Someone even shared with me what his father did to him. Nevertheless, are we basing our faith on circumstance or the word of God? The Bible says, “Pray FOR and bless your enemies,” but circumstances and human nature say, “Curse and even kill your enemies, if possible.” No matter the circumstance, I will follow the word of God and leave everything to God. Let Him do what pleases Him. If He allows the enemies to have their ways, it is for His better purpose for me. I will rather wait for God’s better plan through enemies’ deeds than having my good plan by putting the enemies away in my own way. My enemies will not die!
In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).
NB
Send your reactions to me directly at spiritualdigest@yahoo.com. God bless you!

No comments: