Custom Search

Saturday, September 12, 2009

ANGRY WITH GOD? NEVER!

Dear Beloved,
ANGRY WITH GOD? NEVER!
"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights" (Habakkuk 3:17-19, NIV).
As I was coming out of the US embassy after the third consecutive visa refusal, I was embittered. What really went wrong? Did I not pray enough? What of the prayers and prophecies of hundreds of people towards the success of this visa interview? What of my numerous fastings? Does God not answer prayers again? Why did He deprive me of overseas trip for further studies these three times? These thoughts were making me to be angry at life and with God. Is He still worthy of my praises and worship? Then the words of Habakkuk came to my mind: though God does not "answer" my prayers and there might be no visible evidence of His care, yet I will praise Him!
The book of Habakkuk portrays God as awesome, yet Habakkuk was complaining about why the wicked prospered while the righteous suffered. It seemed God did not acted as he had expected. Yet he concluded his prophecy with praises of God because he knew that there was a benevolent God behind the seemingly unpleasant circumstance. He would rather rejoice in the Lord than to be angry with Him.
Job, in his anguish praised God. Why? He remembered in his pains that God's purpose is always good. Hear him, "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him…" (Job 13:15, NIV); "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God…" (Job 19:25-26, NIV); and "But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold" (Job 23:10, NIV).
Have you been asking God to do something for you but He seems to be delaying it? Are you thinking of abandoning your initial trust in Him because of this? Do you doubt the worthiness of His praises and worship? Are you also at the point of being angry with Him for this? Never think so!
The psalmist boasted of God's care, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me" (Psalm 23:4, NIV), and Solomon also said, "When calamity comes, the wicked are brought down, but even in death the righteous have a refuge" (Proverbs 14:32, NIV).
God has a purpose in your pain. This purpose is always good. The grief may be divinely arranged to re-examine our desires and reveal His better plan to us. Turn your anxiety to Him. He will prove Himself to you. He is still God. He is worthy of your trust and worship. Angry with God? Never!
In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).
NB
This message was first posted on July 19, 2004.

No comments: