Custom Search

Sunday, June 7, 2009

THE WALL OF FEAR

Dear Beloved,
THE WALL OF FEAR
Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go (Joshua 1:9, NIV).
The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1, NIV).
I was about to read the devotional help for our family morning devotion one day when I discovered that I had read a wrong passage from Joshua 6:16-21 instead of John 6:16-21. However, the Lord ministered to us through the seemingly wrong passage. The devotional thought for the day centered on FEAR.
Under the leadership of Joshua, Israelites' first major task was to conquer the city of Jericho, with its high strong wall. The Lord had assured Joshua of victory in all his endeavors (Joshua 1:9). However, the wall was a barrier to them. They knew God would fight for them if they obey Him. Joshua and the Israelites did listen to God. And the high thick wall that had protected the people of Jericho from external aggressions gave way. It crumbled in the presence of our God!
There was another instance. The disciples of Jesus Christ were alone in a boat at night battling with a fiery storm. They were more afraid when they saw Jesus walking on the water (John 6:16-21). Was He a ghost? They thought. Immediately Jesus told them who He was, their fear was allayed. Their storm was ceased! Jesus indeed is the Lord over all life battles.
Are you standing before a wall of fear? Fear is natural when we face adversity. Nevertheless, we should not allow it to overshadow God's promises. We should remember the many unfailing promises of God in the Bible. I am sure your high wall of fear will indeed collapse.
Ponder and think about one of promises: "But now, this is what the LORD says - he who created you, O Jacob [put your name there!], he who formed you, O Israel [again put your name there!]: 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior…'" (Isaiah 43:1-3a, NIV).
In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).

No comments: